Web Tips from CityWideSEO: – How to Make Your Website Highly Engaging and Increase Traffic
With the growing number of websites on the internet it is more important than ever to have a website that does more than the average. Websites that are engaging, responsive and interactive are more interesting to users, and a sure way to grow website traffic. We spoke to our friends and experts in the field CityWideSEO.com practical ideas to make your website more engaging to both existing and potential users alike. City Wide SEO are also available for a free website audit for a no obligation way to show you just how your website could improve and generate more leads sales.
The usability of a website refers to how easy visitors find it to use a website. It means that your website is user-friendly, and visitors can engage in meaningful interactions on the site and complete tasks successfully.
Improving usability is basically focusing on amplifying the certain web characteristics and behaviours to improve the quality of your website. Some of these include:
- User-centred approach – if you want to make your website highly engaging, forget (not entirely anyway) about shiny widgets, complicated functions and flashy slideshows. Focus instead on your site user and what they need in order to achieve their purpose for coming on your site in the first place.
- Easy Navigation – the navigation features for your website need to be intuitive and consistent. A significant number of people who click on your domain name to enter your site do not land on your homepage. The names for your web pages should be neatly categorised for the different parts of your site as well.
- Readability – your choice of text should be readable, i.e. the font size should be large enough to be easily read, and there should be no distracting elements taking the reader’s attention from your copy.
- Organisation of Information – structure is important. Important information for English websites should be placed to the top left of the page. Research shows that most English speakers spend a lot of their time on that side of web pages.
- Link Recognition – hyperlinks should be easy to recognise and should stand out from the rest of the normal body copy. Make sure your users know where to click by making use of colours or underlining your text links.
- Web-friendly writing – writing for the web is different from writing for hard copy. Make clear and concise copies that your readers can enjoy reading by making use of short paragraphs, using bullet-points, and breaking up content with whitespace.
Provide Original and Interesting Content
No matter your niche, remember that there’s some other website competing with yours. How do you keep your site visitors engaged then? By providing good content that is original and interesting. Don’t be afraid to offer a contrary opinion now and then when the occasion call for it. Your posts should be regular and updated. Use your social media accounts to keep your readers updated when you post something new, and encourage them to comment, like and share. In addition, make subscription to your website information emails easy as well so that you can send out updates through emails to your readers.
High quality photographs are some of the most engaging content you can provide on your website. Take a cue from online stores and other websites that make use of pictures as a huge part of their business – their photos are optimised for the web and beautifully shot, no grainy pictures here.
Pictures that are optimised for the web do not impact on speed and load time and this is something that needs to be taken into consideration for your own website. A useful tip for using visual content on your website is to use high quality professional photographs showing your products in the environment where it will be used by your customers.
Share your ideas. How do you improve visitor interaction on your website?